JEE Main is a computer-based entrance exam conducted by National Testing Agency for students who want to pursue their undergraduate courses from top engineering institutes in India. JEE Main is the first entrance exam phase of the IIT Joint Entrance Exam. Once the candidates clear the JEE Mains, they will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
More importantly, students are admitted to IITs, CFTIs, NITs, and other government-funded technical institutes depending on their performance in JEE Main. In addition, the top 2,50,000 JEE Main students would be eligible to take JEE Advanced.
Table of Contents:
–About JEE Main
–JEE Main Exam Highlights
–JEE Main Eligibility
–JEE Main eligibility for Paper 2A & 2B
–IIT JEE Main Exam Pattern with Marking Scheme
- Paper 1
- Paper 2A
- Paper 2B
–JEE Main Exam Syllabus
–JEE Main Reservation Criteria
About JEE Main
JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Main is the centralised test conducted across different states in India. NTA conducts the exam in January and April. The NTA conducts examinations using LAN instead of the Internet to conduct a safe and secure examination. The aspirants’ journey would only begin after they have passed the Main examination. The Mains scores determine eligibility for the following step, Advanced.
JEE Main exam is conducted for 3 sets of aspirants:
- Paper 1 is intended for students pursuing B. Tech. or B.E. degrees.
- Paper 2A is for students interested in pursuing a B. Arch. Degree.
- Paper 2B is for students interested in pursuing a B. Planning degree.
JEE Main Exam Highlights
|Name of Exam
|Total Sessions in 2022
|Exam Conducting Authority
|NTA (National Testing Agency)
|Admissions to IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs
|Mode of Examination
|Type of questions
|The exam centres will be assigned based on the cities selected by the candidates in their online application form.
|JEE Main Official Website
JEE Main Eligibility
Candidates who meet the eligibility requirement set by NTA are only eligible to apply online for JEE Main.
There is no age limit for the applicants to appear for the JEE Main entrance examination. Moreover, candidates should satisfy themselves regarding the age limit while being admitted to a particular college.
Years of Appearance in Qualifying Examination
Candidates who have passed 12th or its equivalent examination in 2020 or 2021 are only eligible. Candidates appearing for the final examinations of class 12th are also eligible.
Subjects in the Qualifying Examination
To apply for JEE Main 2022, candidates must have taken at least five subjects in their class 12 qualifying examination. The candidate must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in the B.Arch qualifying exams.
Percentage of Marks
Candidates have to score at least 75% in aggregate for admission to top engineering institutions in the country, such as IITs, NITs, and CFTIs. For reserved category students, it is at least 65%.
B.Arch. is the paper-II.
Candidates seeking admission to this course must have completed their 10+2 or equivalent with 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Diploma recipients are not eligible to apply.
JEE Main eligibility for Paper 2A & 2B
- The candidate must have obtained 50% in Maths, Physics, and Chemistry and 50% in the qualifying test.
- Mathematics is required for applicants to B.Arch./B.Planning programmes.
IIT JEE Main Exam Pattern with Marking Scheme
|Total No. of Questions
Paper 1 Marking Scheme
- In contrast to previous years, negative marking has been implemented in Section B.
- Each correct response will receive 4 marks, while each incorrect answer will receive 1 mark. This is true for both MCQs and numerical questions.
- Unanswered questions receive no score.
|Total No. of Questions
Paper 2A Marking Scheme
- 4 marks will be rewarded for every correct answer in the Aptitude and Mathematics sections, while 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- No negative marking for unanswered questions.
- For Drawing, test marks will be assigned based on candidates drawing skills.
|Total No. of Questions
Paper 2B Marking Scheme
- For each correct response, 4 marks will be granted, while 1 mark will be subtracted for each incorrect answer.
- For both MCQs and numerical-based questions, a negative marking of 1 mark is allowed.
- There are no negative marks for questions that are unattempted.
JEE Main Exam Syllabus
|Sequence and Series
|Determinant and Matrices
|Limits and Continuity
|Application of Derivatives
|Area under the Curve
|Magnetic Effects of Current
|Properties of Matter
|Bohr’s Atomic Model
|Waves and Sound
|Gaseous and Liquid State
|D Block Elements
|P Block Elements
|General Organic Chemistry
|Aldehydes and Ketones
JEE Main Reservation Criteria
For admissions through JEE Main, the testing authority follows the reservation standards established by the government of India. Based on the categorical reservation policy, all India ranks will be issued. The percentage reservations of categories for JEE Main admissions are as follows:
- OBC Candidates: 27% reservation
- SC Candidates: 15% reservation
- ST Candidates: 7.5% reservation
- PwD Candidates: 5% reservation
- GEN-EWS Candidates: 10% reservation
- Women Candidates: 5% reservation
Unsure about what to do after 12th Science, visit Gen-Z Careers for Career Counselling. Additionally, Gen-Z Careers also provides various assessments like DMIT Test, Aptitude Test, IQ Test, and Personality Test, which help you discover your career based on your interest. Get in touch with us; we are ready to assist you!