Table of Contents:
- About CLAT Exam
- CLAT Exam Highlights
- Eligibility Criteria for CLAT
- CLAT Exam Pattern
- CLAT Exam Fees
- CLAT Syllabus
- Top National Law Universities
About CLAT Exam
CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) is an All India Entrance Examination conducted by the National Law Universities (NLUs) in order to provide admission to their undergraduate and postgraduate programmes like LLB and LLM. The responsibility for administering the exam is cycled among NLUs and assigned based on seniority in the establishment.
CLAT Exam is the most popular law entrance exam among individuals seeking admission to law UG programmes. Around 50,000 candidates take the CLAT Entrance Exam. According to the latest official information, the CLAT 2023 Exam for UG admissions consists of 150 questions from five areas, including English Language and Current Affairs, Logical Reasoning, Legal Reasoning, General Knowledge, and Quantitative Techniques. So, before going, go through the detailed information about the CLAT exam.
CLAT Exam Highlights
|CLAT Full Form||Common Law Admission Test|
|Conducted By||Consortium of NLUs|
|Exam Frequency||Twice a year|
|Exam Type||Law Entrance Test|
|CLAT Exam Mode||Offline|
|CLAT Exam Duration||2 hours|
|Test Takers||Approx. 59,000|
|CLAT Official Website||https://consortiumofnlus.ac.in/|
Email: clat@ consortiumofnlus. Ac. in
Time: 10:00 am to 05:00 pm on all working days
Eligibility Criteria for CLAT
- In CLAT 2022, the UG Program will have no upper age limit.
- In terms of the minimum percentage of marks in the qualifying examination (i.e., 10+2 or an equivalent examination), candidates must have obtained:
- 45% marks or its equivalent grade in the case of candidates belonging to the General / OBC / PWD / NRI / PIO / OCI categories;
- 45% marks or its equivalent grade in the case of candidates belonging to the General / OBC / PWD / NRI / PIO
- In the case of candidates from the SC/ST categories, 40% or equivalent is required.
- Candidates who take the qualifying test in March/April 2022 are also eligible to take the CLAT 2022 exam. They will be asked to submit proof of passing the qualifying test at the time of admission, failing which they will forfeit their right to be considered for admission.
CLAT Exam Pattern
CLAT 2023 consists of 5 sections and is administered online. Each question is worth one mark, and there is a CLAT Negative Marking of 0.25 points for each erroneous response. CLAT 2023 requires 150 questions to be answered in 120 minutes; however, there are no descriptive-type questions. For a better understanding, consult the most recent CLAT Exam Pattern.
|CLAT Exam Sections||No. of MCQs||Maximum Marks||Approximate Weightage (in %)|
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge||35-39||35-39||25|
|Quantitative Techniques (Basic Mathematics up to Class 10)||13-17||13-17||10|
CLAT Exam Fees
|Category||CLAT Exam Fees 2023|
|General/OBC/SAP and other category candidates||₹ 4000/-|
|SC/ST category candidates||₹ 3500/-|
Before beginning test preparation, thoroughly review the CLAT Syllabus.
|Section-wise CLAT Syllabus||CLAT Important Topics to be Covered|
|English (including Comprehension)||Analogies, Spotting Errors, Spelling Errors, Word Rearrangement, Synonyms, Reading Comprehension, Idioms & Phrases, Fill in the blanks, One Word Substitution, Antonyms, Cloze Test, Sentence Rearrangement, Sentence Improvement.|
|Numerical Ability (Elementary Maths)||Areas, and Volumes, Percentage, Simplification & Approximation, Partnerships, Ratio, Averages, Surds & Indices, Square Roots, Fractions & Decimals, Number Systems, HCF & LCM, Discounts, Profit & Loss, Proportion, Interest.|
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||Static GK, Current happenings, Science & Technology, Sports, Economics, History, Geography, Politics|
|Logical Reasoning||Ranking, Syllogism, Coding-Decoding, Statement & Assumption/ Argument/ Conclusion/ Course of action, Series, Number Test, analogy, Alphabet Test, Classification, Time & Sequence, Blood Relations, Distance and Direction.|
|Legal Aptitude||Important Supreme Court Judgments; Important and recent acts and amendments of the legislature; Legal GK and current affairs; International treaties and conventions affecting national legal framework, Important topics from Contract law, Criminal law, tort law, and Constitutional law, etc.|
Top National Law Universities
Listed below are the top law colleges which provide admission on the basis of CLAT score.
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University, Orissa (NLUO)
- National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur
- Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad
- HP National Law University, Shimla
- Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur
- DR.B.R.Ambedkar National Law University, Haryana
Get in touch with Gen-Z Careers if you want to know the potential strengths that will alternately help you to excel and succeed in your career.